Monday, August 25, 2003

2001 Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay.

I had the 2001 Kim Crawford Unoaked Chardonnay last night.

OMG, as the young folks say.

I was expecting something like the Madeleine from Breaux, I suppose, clean, crisp and some fruit, nothing overwhelming. Well, I was wrong.

Lots of acidity, and sharply crisp, like a NZ sauvignon blanc. Loads of citrus fruit, lemon predominating. Very much a lemon-acid feeling, not green apple. No hint of malolactic butteryness, although the label says that it's had some ML. Certainly not "butterscotch" as the label claims. No oak; well, no surprise there.

Michael Franz had suggested this as a substitute for French chablis back in May, when idiots were boycotting French products. Can't say I really agree with him, as this is up-front with its lemon and acidity, and not merely crisp. Certainly not subtle and layered, as I recall real chablis being.

Not entirely sure what foods it would be good with. I suppose shellfish, in the same way that sauvignon blanc is good. But I think I'd like sauvignon blanc better for shrimp and oysters. This might be better with lobster. But not with roast chicken or things with cream sauces, perhaps not so surprisingly. Lemon chicken? Well, maybe. Their website suggests white meats and seafood, and "fusion" Pacific rim foods.

$19.99, Richmond. Private Stock.