Friday, October 17, 2003

1995 Willamette Valley Vineyards Oregon Pinot Noir (Whole Berry Fermented).

Another one of the wines I bought in Oregon seven years ago, and have only now gotten around to opening. The last of the wines from that trip, I believe. The Willamette Valley Vineyards is in, well, the Willamette Valley, near Salem. And not that I'm giving stock advice, but they're listed on NASDAQ.

And, as with the wine I mentioned on Sept. 7, this was a bottle I should have had a couple of years ago.

This wine was fermented completely from uncrushed Pinot Noir grapes, and the theory is that helps retain the fresh, fruity quality of the wine, and allows for its early release. (I bought this wine in October 1996, presumably only 12 or 13 months after its harvest.) The label also recommends that you drink it "now"; their website recommends "within 2 or 3 years" for the current similarly produced wine. Nothing about holding it for 7 years, though, so even they would think that wasn't a great idea.

Slightly oxidized color. Hints of cherry and strawberry in the aroma. Some staleness in the aroma, along with something slightly sulfuric that doesn't blow off. Almost barnyard-like, but not in the normal, earthy pinot noir way. Still some flavor - cherry and banana predominate, with some other red-fruit flavors around, like strawberry. Still some fruity acidity, which with the banana and strawberry remind me of one of my usual choices of yogurt. Soft tannins present, very smooth. I had it with grilled salmon with minimal seasoning; anything with more aggressive flavors would have overwhelmed the wine.

I bet this wine was absolutely dynamite about 4 or 5 years ago, and I wish I'd had it then.

$14 - $18 (?), purchased at winery.